Additional Day/Time for the Caregiver Support Group Sessions
NEW: Additional DAY/TIME Options for our Caregiver Support Group Sessions!
Caregivers Program New Schedule and Announcements
I am pleased to announce that BSOSS is now offering NEW Caregiver Support Group Sessions starting December 2016! In this regard, please take note below of our updated schedule.
MONDAY Support Group Schedule – ALMOST FULL (Every other Mondays from 5:30pm to 8:00pm, Synergy Room, 1st Floor, 2055 Rosser Avenue)
TUESDAY Support Group Schedule (Last Tuesday of every month, 12:30pm to 3:00pm, Synergy Room, 1st Floor, 2055 Rosser Avenue. Please take note of the date as I have to make adjustments based on room availability)
SATURDAY Support Group Schedule (Last Saturday of every month, 10:30am to 1:00pm, 2055 Rosser Avenue. Please take note of the date and room assignments as I have to make adjustments based on room availability)
December 17 (Synergy Room, 1st Floor)
January 28 (Harmony Room, 2nd Floor)
February 25 (Synergy Room, 1st Floor)
March 18 (Synergy Room, 1st Floor)
April 29 (Synergy Room, 1st Floor)
May 27 (Synergy Room, 1st Floor)
Announcements and Reminders:
1. The Monday Group is ALMOST FULL. May I therefore request non-regular members and “new” members who would like to attend the Monday meetings, to please register first to confirm if we still have a space in the group to accommodate you.
2. We still have some space for our Tuesday and Saturday sessions. If you are interested to attend either sessions, please send me an email so I can register you for the group you’ve selected.
3. Our office is located at 2055 Rosser Avenue, near Brentwood Mall and Wholefoods Store. The nearest major intersection is Lougheed and Willingdon and the nearest Skytrain Station is Brentwood Town Centre Station.
4. Our office is wheelchair accessible.
5. If you have a car, parking is available at the following locations:
a. Wholefoods Store (same side as our office)
b. Vancity (across our office)
c. Save More Supermarket (across our office)
6. For the month of December, our “theme” for discussion is “Self-Appreciation and Adapting to Changes in Family Dynamics.”
A few final words….
I just want to thank those of you who have given their feedback on how we can improve our Support Group Meetings and make the most out of it. Your feedback and suggestions are most appreciated. Thank you very much.
From the feedback I have received so far, it seems that we share a similar vision on what we want to take away from the support group – and that is:
(1) a space where we can share our most intimate thoughts and feelings about our caregiving experiences with others who understand and can relate what we are going through without fear of being judged; and,
(2) learn resources, practical skills and tools that we can apply in our daily lives (which for some, have become solely or mostly about caregiving) so we can still live a rich and full life while taking care of the people we love.
Care-giving is rewarding, but it is okay to admit, that it can also be stressful; and therefore, we need to be kind and compassionate to ourselves. We hope that through our meetings, we can learn from each other how to do that, or at the very least, give ourselves “permission” to be kind and compassionate to ourselves.
On a more personal note as Group Facilitator, it is my dream that after each meeting, we walk away feeling a little more empowered, a little bit more compassionate of others and ourselves and simply, feeling a little better, breathing a little lighter.
Thank you all very much. You are all doing a great job (even if you don’t feel like you do).
Program Manager-Unpaid Caregiver Support and Let’s Do Lunch Programs
Burnaby Seniors Outreach Services Society
2055 Rosser Avenue
Burnaby BC V5C 0H1
Direct Line: 604-292-3909